Vinayagar Chaturthi is on 1 st of September this year. It is is celebrated as the birthday of Lord Ganesha. Traditionally we make Sweet Kozhukattai (Modakam), Uppu Kozhukattai (Savory version) and mani Kozhukattai for Ganesh Chaturthi.Today let us learn how to prepare Uppu Kozhukattai by following this easy Kozhukattai recipe.
Ingredients needed for dough
Rice flour -1 cup (prepare it as mentioned it in my vella kolukattai recipe)
Water –(approx)- 1 - 1 ¼ cup (The quantity of water depends on the quality of rice but you definitely need 1 cup of water)
Salt - a pinch
Sesame seed oil – 1 tsp
Note -(Do not use ordinary rice flour - prepare it as I have mentioned it in my sweet Kozhukattai recipe or buy rice flour specially sold for the purpose of making Kozhukattai.)
- Boil water with a pinch of salt and a tsp of oil,when it starts boiling, simmer and add the rice flour stirring continuously so that it does not form lumps.
- Cook for 2 -3 minutes and switch off the flame. Since we are going to steam the Kozhukattai, you do not have to cook fully.
- Grease your hands with oil and knead the dough well when it is warm. Keep it covered with a damp cloth for 10 minutes.
Ingredients needed for the stuffing
Urad dal - 1/2 cup
Green chilli - 4
Hing/asafoedida - a pinch
Salt as required
- Soak urad dal for 1 hour. Drain the water and grind it with chilli, hing and salt coarsely.
- Steam it in an idly pan for 10-15 minutes.
- After it cools, crumble it well. You can use the mixie for this-just whip it for a second.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil, add mustard seeds, when mustard splutters, add curry leaves and the steamed crumbled dal. Mix it well. Remove from flame.
Method to make Kozhukattai
- Now take the rice flour dough and make small lemon sized balls .Grease your palms with oil, keep the ball and flatten it into round shape or a mini cup with the other hand. You can dip your fingers in water + oil mix, if needed to make it easier.
- Place a heaped tsp of stuffing and seal the edges. (See the picture)
- Repeat the process for the rest of the dough and stuffing.
- Arrange all the prepared Kozhukattais on a greased idli plate and steam cook for 10-15 minutes or till done. Wait for 10 minutes to cool down and then take it out.
Delicious Uppu /Savory Kozhukattais are ready.
I have mentioned another method to prepare rice flour dough in my Ammini Kozhukattai recipe. Kindly check it out and follow whichever method is comfortable or easy for you.
Meet you all again with another interesting recipe, till then it is bye from Padhu of Padhuskitchen.com