For making sugar syrup
Sugar -2 1/2 cups
Water – 3 cups
Cardamom pods -3 peeled or crushed
Method to prepare sugar syrup
In a big pan, mix sugar, water and 2-3 crushed cardamoms.
Bring it to boil and stir until the sugar dissolves completely and syrup becomes slightly sticky. Do not boil too much. Keep it aside.
Method to make Gulab jamun
1. First mix the gulab jamun flour well with your hands to remove all lumps.
2. Then add water (according to the instructions on the pack) and make a soft pliable dough. Let it sit for a few minutes.
3. Divide the dough equally and make small smooth balls without any creases. This is very important.
4. Heat oil and fry the gulab jamuns on low medium heat so that the inside of the gulab jamun will also get cooked well. Keep stirring it gently for even cooking and browning. Remove with a slotted ladle when it becomes slightly dark brown in color.
5. Allow the gulab jamuns to cool a little, before dropping them in warm sugar syrup.
6. Let all the Gulab jamuns remain soaked in the sugar syrup for 1 hour. It can be served hot or cold.
If preferred, you can top it with vanilla ice cream and enjoy. Personally I love it hot.
I have given the important points to be kept in mind in bold. Do not fry the gulab jamuns on high heat as it will get browned quickly but the inside will not be cooked properly.
Allow it to cool a little before dropping them in the warm sugar syrup.
Heat the sugar syrup slightly before dropping the gulab jamuns, if it has become cold.
Now that Diwali is round the corner, try making these easy Gulab jamuns at home and enjoy.
Do check out my Easy Bread Gulab Jamun also.
Meet you all again with another interesting recipe, till then it is bye from Padhu of Padhuskitchen.com