Oats provides us with a wide range of health benefits. Oats are a storehouse of essential vitamins and minerals. Even research studies have proved that including oats in our regular diet provides us with many health benefits. Oats are high in fiber and help to reduce cholesterol. It is also considered to be beneficial for diabetic patients and people who want to reduce weight. How can one reduce weight by including oats in their diet? The answer is simple-Since oats is rich in dietary fiber, it helps to keep you full for a longer time, so reduces your cravings and prevents you from binging on other unhealthy food stuff, thereby helps in weight loss also. Oats Idli is another way to include oats in our diet as some people may find drinking oats porridge everyday boring (well, I am not in that list as I love my oats porridge with dates very much) This is an instant oats recipe which I have prepared in the same method as my rava idli recipe but with the goodness of oats. Today let us learn how to prepare oats idli following our easy oats idly recipe.
Dry roast oats until it is slightly hot to touch.Powder it and keep it aside.
Dry roast rava also until it is slightly hot to touch.
Heat 2 tsp of oil, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add the rest of the ingredients mentioned under seasoning. Cook until the raw smell of the carrot goes.
In a bowl, mix together powdered oats, rava, curd, salt, baking soda, the seasoning and needed water to make a batter similar to idli batter.Let it sit for 15 minutes.(The batter should neither be thick nor thin but should be of dropping consistency.)
Bring water to boil, grease the idli moulds with oil and pour a ladle of batter into the idly mould.
Steam for 15 minutes or until the idlis are cooked. After it cools slightly, remove the idli from the mould and serve hot with any chutney or sambar of your choice.
Note -Oats idli tastes best when it is hot.
Indian Oats Recipes- Ways to include oats in your diet
Oats Porridge recipe
Oats with banana
Instant Oats dosa
Eggless Oats Cookies
Instant Oats Dosa
Few more ideas to include oats in your diet
- Oats can soaked for 10 minutes, ground to a paste and can be mixed with our regular dosa batter to make delicious dosas.
- It can be used to thicken soups. Just add a tbsp of powdered oats to your regular soup and cook for a few minutes.
- Cooked Oats can be combined with fruits and milk to make delicious milkshakes.
- It can also be used in muffins, buns and bread.
- Oats can be substituted or can be added to many Indian recipes/dishes like Kheer, soup, sweet pongal, kara pongal, adai, kozhukattai etc.
- Try Oats curd, oats bisibelabath, lemon oats, oat puli upma, tomato oats, khichdi etc-(Same way as you prepare lemon rice, curd rice, tamarind rice, bisibelabath, tomato rice etc)
- A little powdered oats can be added to roti dough to make delicious and nutritious rotis/chapatis.
- It can be used as a filling for sandwich.
The list is endless. Use your imagination and try out various recipes with oats and enjoy it health benefits.
If you found this post useful, I would really love it, if you pin it or share it with your Facebook fans or Twitter followers or Google+ circles today. All it takes is a simple click on the “pin it” “like,” “share,” “tweet,” or Google+ buttons below the post. It will keep me motivated. Thank you!